Sunday

Oxford, Blenheim Palace & Hidcote Mannor

We were taken on a whirlwind tour of a small portion of Oxford University.





I've always had a fascination with this particular university and was highly excited to be at it physically. It was interesting to me to learn that the university works very differently from what we are used to in the States. An example how it is different is this, he students do not meet in classrooms except for on special occasions when a professor has a paper or some other presentation to make on a subject. Each student admitted Oxford is on what is called an individual study program in which they are responsible for their own readings, lessons and hands-on learning activities. They are then assigned a tutor that they are meant to meet with once a week to show progress and ask questions about what hey are studying. The testing they do to prove their knowledge is a type of panel. Individually, the student will go before a panel of professors where they will be given an opportunity to choose from one of three questions placed face down on a table before the panel. The student; once they have picked one question, will be given a short period of time (20-30 min.) in which they can collect their thoughts and prepare to present their response to the panel of professors. They are expected to recite and provide evidence of knowledge on their particular field of study to such an extent as to gain from each of the professors on the panel their pass and accomplishment of the bachelor degree. Can you imagine studying a subject that way? I think it would be a very interesting and refreshing way to study a subject. On our way through and around the city and university we were able to see and explore quite a few famous buildings designed by the same architect that designed St Paul's Cathedral.










I was a bit disappointed when we were told to roam and explore the rest at our leisure. I know that I would have gotten much more out of the university of there had been a guided tour. Because of that dismissal, I found myself wandering around Oxford by myself. Good thing that I've been blessed with a good sense of direction. I know that my family reading that last statement would probably disagree with me, but for some reason I've found it very easy to find my way around the cities we are being dumped. No worries honey, and kiddies I'm still attached to the group.
After our too brief run through Oxford, we were taken to a very large and ostentatiously ornate palace.










At first I was wowed and impressed with the size and grandeur, but than while on the very boring tour I came to realize that I was put off by the ritz and glamor. The place that gained my disdain is Blenheim Palace, which belonged and still does to Sir. Winston Churchill's family. I realize that such obvious wealth was common for prominent families and is a sign of favor from the crown, but to see how large these families lived compared to how the rest of the population of the country lived was vastly divided and unfair. I suppose that part of my dislike for he palace was the reception and way in which to tour group was treated. While most others could walk through at their own pace we were made to stay together as a group and snail-pace our way through with a tour guide that made me want to scrape wallpaper off with my teeth. Toward the end of the tour I began to look for ways to escape the group and move on and through the tour. I don't think I have ever been through such a painful experience before, and it was evident by the lose of light in the eyes of the others in our tour group that they too had lost their will to live. (I'm exaggerating but not by much, it was horrible)
Our final stop for the day was a very welcome diversion compared to the hell we were put through with Blenheim Palace. There is a little by-the-way manor house called Hidcote Manor that has attached gardens that are so picturesque and peaceful that we all embraced it's arrival in our daily exploration. It was a balm to the soul and allowed for meditative contemplation of all that had been seen that day.



























It allowed me to finish up the day with a pleasant feeling devouring me of the frustration and negative thoughts I'd dragged with me from Blenheim. Off to bed for me with yet another day ticked off the calendar.

1 comment:

Sarah Oman said...

I guess you can find that some times around here. The huge gap in the way people live.
Anyway, way cool pictures!!!